Saturday, November 07, 2009

Dreams

Dreams. They go back a long way, don't they? Some people say, dreams are just a figment of imagination, some say, it's your subconscious trying to tell you something, and some even say dreams are premonitions. Some use scientific jargon to explain dreams, talking about sleeping stages and brain waves; some use religion to make sense of dreams and what they mean, what they represent.

For me, I figure, dreams are a manifestation of the subconscious. I believe, many things happen during our waking hours, and we may, consciously or subconsciously be aware of things. The mind does curious things at times. Certain issues, certain thoughts, certain emotions are repressed, knowingly or unknowingly, and I believe, dreams are essentially a state of mind where you lose any self control or inhibitions.

So. Assuming that my description of dreams is acceptable, recurring dreams have a certain kind of meaning behind it, doesn't it? A friend of mine was talking to me earlier on, telling me about a certain recurring dream. Unsurprisingly, it brought back memories. Memories I thought I had long buried away.

What was this dream about? Well, her fiancee dreamt that she was sleeping around with other women, and she's convinced that my friend doesn't want to be with her anymore. Why did I say it brought back memories? I'll let you in on something. Tasha went through that stage before. The whole you're-sleeping-with-another-woman-don't-you-want-me stage. Yeah. Messed up as it is, they both dreamt about something very similar. To make things even more interesting, this friend of mine? Her fiancee? They're both Tasha's best friends. Ironic? Perhaps.

I figure, this has something to do with insecurities. Whether they were aware of it, or not, they're afraid. Either afraid that we would leave them, or they're not good enough for us. Whichever it is, it's not good, is it? If dreams are indeed a manifestation of the subconscious, then why is it not everyone dreams?

A correction of the assumption would therefore seem appropriate. The strongest underlying issue or emotion would therefore be portrayed through dreams. Recurence would therefore signify the strength of the matter at hand.

BAH! Science be damned! Philosophy be damned! Nightmares ain't fun, worse when you're not the one having nightmares but have to pay the price. How are you supposed to convince someone, that they are the one you want, when their doubt is so strong, that it comes out as a nightmare? It's not an issue that occured overnight, but more like, an accumulation of it. Kind of like, a volcano, the pressure builds up till it erupts, only in this case, it comes in the form of a nightmare.

God! Why would they even think that we would leave them? Ok. So part of insecurities is irrational. But dear god, we love them both enough to want to marry them, doesn't that say something about how committed we are to them? I'm not free from insecurities either, so I guess I can't judge them. But. Gah. This is frustrating.

=(






i had a nightmare too.

No comments: