Sunday, February 17, 2008

ghost

When it gets dark out there,
think of me.
When it gets lonely at night,
dream of me.
When you see the stars in the skies,
remember me.


She laid back on the grass, looking up to the heavens. In the background, she could hear fireworks being released, and the joyous squeals of the children. She sighed. Christmas, and here she was, alone and isolated from friends and family, just to stare into space. Oh, how she missed those arms wrapped around her waist, holding her tight, never letting her go. And with that embrace, came the kisses and sweet nothings murmured into her ear.

When you're sad and down,
talk to me.
When you're happy and jolly,
picture me.

God knows how long she has suffered like this. Waking up practically everynight, drenched in sweat, her voice hoarse from screaming and crying. 2 years. 2 years since that eventful day. And she still remembered it as if it was yesterday. The car crash that inevitably took her beloved's life.

~Flashback~
They were on their way back home. Trying on all those wedding gowns were exhausting, yet satisfying. Finally, they found the perfect outfits. Chatting idly in the car, none of them expected that to be their last chat, EVER.

Everyone said that it was the worse automobile accident in the whole world, involving 4 cars, 2 motorcycles and a truck. The truck driver had swerved in order to avoid a motorcyclist, and subsequently caused the entire accident. Among the 5 casualties, her beloved's body was the most horribly mangled one of all. She was the lucky one, they say, surviving a crash like that. She was admitted and cared for in the hospital for 5 months.

Going through the stuff he left behind, a few days prior to his funeral, his family members found a velvet box in an envelope. Together in the envelope was a letter addressed to her. Honouring his wishes, they gave it to her.

'my dearest, by now, you should know how much I love you. I truly do. No matter what, I'll always love you. From the day I first met you, I knew, you were the one for me. You caught my eye, and stole my heart. I wanted you to be my bride, and most importantly, to show you my love forever more. I love you, my beloved.'

She broke down, crying and sobbing for the man she loved, for the fact that he started on a journey without her, a journey she can't follow.
~End of flashback~

When you're feeling blue,
share with me.
When you're seeing red,
come to me.

It's been 2 years, and she still misses him terribly. Everyone said that she should move on, learn to live with the pain, learn to cope, learn to embrace life once more. But her beloved left her, the one man she gave all her love to, the guy she trusted with her everything, has gone. She had gone from sad, to anger, to angst. And now, all she felt was an emptiness.

For i will always be there,
by your side,
in body, heart and soul.

'my beloved wildflower, you must learn to move on. Look forward, not backward. I'm always here, and will always love you. But you'll need to learn to live again, my love.'

She was startled. That voice. It was HIS voice! She looked up in the heavens, and for once, was at peace. This time, she could feel his presense, and knew, he was fulfilling his promise to her. She smiled, and joined the rest of her family with a genuine smile on her face. They wondered at the change, but was happy for her.

No comments: